The Scariest Part of the Writing Process

I've spent the past couple weeks editing the second draft of my book. I honestly didn't think I'd get to have another set of eyes look it over before I shared it with the world, so I put on my best objective editing hat (after all, I do edit things for my "real" job) and set to work.

I think I was pretty hard on the work - anything that bothered me, any inconsistencies (no matter how minor) - I fixed. I redid passages and added one chapter. I'm sure I missed a spelling or grammar error (I always do), but I read through three times so I'm fairly certain I got most of them. Overall, I'm pleased with how it turned out, and even after reading it three times, I still enjoy reading the story so I consider that a good sign.

I talked to an editor friend of mine last Friday and it turns out she will be able to read it over for me before I publish it which I am very thankful for. So, I sent the third draft to Staples and it is sitting in a binder waiting to share with her. If the weather cooperates, I should be able to give it to her tomorrow.

And that is the scariest part of the writing process - sharing the story with someone else - subjecting it (and me) to the criticism that may follow. Up to now, it has been my own private work. No one has read a word of it. But, now, it will start to belong to the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lacemaker: A Novel of St. Zelie Martin is now available!

First Draft of New Novel Done!

Amazon KDP's New Hardcover Publishing Service