Done.

I would like to say that I'm jumping up and down at the fact that this story is done, but I'm not. I mean, I should be, right? I met my goal - I finished my first draft in under two months. I like the story. I actually like it better than my first novel. All of which should give me reason to celebrate, but mostly I'm just tired and a little sad that it is done. After all, the writing is really the fun part. I've looked forward to working on it each day that I could and watching the story develop and the word counts go up. Now, that is over.

Some overall observations: This second novel was easier to write. Practice does make perfect. Well, I don't know about perfect, but it does make it easier. I remember writing the last novel that there were times I truly hated the story. It seemed to take so long and it was such a struggle to figure out what should happen next, what the characters were doing, where they were going. I kept going by sheer force of will sometimes. This time around, the story just came out. I definitely felt more in the zone. I'm thankful to God for giving me the time and the inspiration to do this.

I'm not sure why it mattered for me to write this story, but it did. I honestly don't know if anyone will ever read it. I once read, though, that when we give ourselves permission to pursue our creative pursuits, that in turn allows others to give themselves permission to pursue their own, and the world is better for that. So, while my story may not matter, perhaps someone else will be inspired by the fact that I wrote it and be convinced they can do the same.

So, what's next? Editing. I get to go back and fix all my mistakes. Honestly, I haven't read the story through start to finish. I sent it off to Staples to be printed. I'll probably pick it up Friday.

Today's total: 889 Final total: 46,352 (not quite 50,000 but close enough!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lacemaker: A Novel of St. Zelie Martin is now available!

First Draft of New Novel Done!

Amazon KDP's New Hardcover Publishing Service