In the midst of waiting

The Forest for the Trees: An Editor's Advice to Writers by Betsy Lerner today. She has this to say about the waiting process:

"When a writer gives his editor the pages of his manuscript, he is, in essence, handing over his heart on a plate. And until he gets a response, his entire sense of himself is in limbo. It's like waiting for the results of a biopsy."

Having waited for the results of cancer tests (which fortunately came back negative), I don't think this falls in the same category. My life doesn't hang in the balance, but still, every day I wonder if this will be the day I get to hear "yes" or "no" from the publisher considering my novella for publication. I'm supposed to hear by the end of November so there is still plenty of time, but I do wonder. I can rule out someone having read it and loved it. I would have heard about that. It is possible the story hasn't even been looked at yet, or that it has been totally forgotten about. It's possible it was looked at and is a "maybe" and they are weighing the options. Maybe it was read and they hated it and just haven't sent out the rejection letter. The point is I don't know. And so I wait and expect the worse and hope for the best. And know that my life will go on either way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lacemaker: A Novel of St. Zelie Martin is now available!

First Draft of New Novel Done!

Amazon KDP's New Hardcover Publishing Service