Writing for Art's Sake

I finished reading A Writer's Guide to Fiction (Writer's Compass) today. My purpose in reading some books about writing is to learn more about the craft of writing. I've been writing most of my life, but I've never taken a class dedicated to it. Part of me would love to get an MFA in Creative Writing. I even looked at some on-line programs. Most had some residency requirements, however, and I'm not getting away for 2 - 3 weeks at a time anytime soon. Nor do I have the money to pay for it. So, I'm doing the next best thing - utilizing my library and my ability to read to learn. I took many notes from this book and while it is all a bit overwhelming (like anything else, I'm realizing how much I don't know), I do feel it will help me with my next project.

I did come across this statement in the book:

"Writing is its own reward. Creating fiction feeds the soul, stirs the imagination, and delights the inner child. Writing fiction is more than craft; it's art. Art does not have to be sold or even shared in order to be of value."

Intellectually, I agree wholeheartedly with that statement. I am both artist and writer. Both art and writing do have inherent value. However, on an emotional level, I have always felt sad when I have no one to share my art or writing with. The one exception to that being my own private journals. I don't care so much about being paid for my work (although that certainly would help a great deal), but I do want to share it. I want it to be appreciated, to have someone enjoy it, or have it make somebody think. I want to contribute to the world at large. Otherwise, I feel selfish and that the time and energy invested in these projects is worthless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lacemaker: A Novel of St. Zelie Martin is now available!

First Draft of New Novel Done!

Amazon KDP's New Hardcover Publishing Service